Per the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy Admissions Department: There are two distinct processes which must be completed when applying to the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy. First, you must request a nomination (go to the NOMINATION section of this website to obtain more information). Second, you must also do one of the following: either (a) Request an application from the Academy; (b) Print Application, or (c) Apply On-Line. Students may begin applying to the Academy on 15 April of your Junior Year of High School. The application deadline is 1 March of the year you wish to enter the Academy. The earlier you start the application, the sooner all related processes can begin (scheduling for your DoDMERB physical, for example). The later you apply, the greater the chance that you will not complete all processes by our established deadlines. If you are able, we strongly encourage you to Apply On-Line.
To be complete, your Application Package must contain all of the following:
- USMMA Admissions Application:
- Part I, completed by you, either on-line or manually
- Part II, completed by you, including your Biographical Essay
Part III, completed by your High School, which also must include:
- ----Official High School Transcript(s)
- ----Official SAT and/or ACT standardized test scores
- ----Three (3) Letter(s) of Recommendation
Director of Admissions
U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
300 Steamboat Road, Admissions Center
Kings Point, New York 11024-1699
Mail completed form, with attachment(s), to:
- College Transcript(s), if applicable
- Completed DoDMERB Medical Exam
- Candidate Fitness Assessment (CFA)
- Nominations from a proper nominating authority (either a U.S. Representative or a U.S. Senator from your State of Residence/Domicile)
Candidates for admission to the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy must be at least 17 years of age, and not have passed their 25th birthday, before 1 July of the year of admission.
You should request an application and complete it prior to the March 1 application deadline. You are strongly encouraged to complete this application early and prior to receiving a nomination from your nominating authority. Candidates not doing so will be mailed an application once their official nomination is received by the Admissions Office.However, early filing of an application will expedite processing of your admission file.
Candidate Reply Date
The Academy ascribes to the universal candidate reply date of May 1. All principal, conditional and alternate appointees are required to notify the Academy either of accepting or declining their status by that date.
U.S. candidates for admission to the Academy may apply on-line.
Privacy Act Statement
In accordance with 5 USC 552a(e)(3), the following information is provided to you when supplying personal information to the Maritime Administration.
- Authority which authorized the solicitation of the information : 46 USC 1295b and 1295g.
- Principal purpose(s) for which information is intended to be used: The information is used to evaluate each applicant for an appointment to the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy.
- The routine uses which may be made of the information: As background information on applicants for the selection process. To contact the applicant. The social security number is a basic identifier.
- Whether or not disclosure of such information is mandatory or voluntary (required by law or optional) and the effects on the individual, if any, of not providing all or any part of the requested information: Disclosure of the information is voluntary, but the applicant will not be considered further if all information is not provided.